Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Progress and Some Setbacks

Well I am down to only 2 bee colonies.  That means I have lost 60%.  I have to really analyze what is going on.  Colonies too small? Queen swarms?  Too congested in hive?  Queen Excluder in incorrect position? Disease?  It is tough to make sense.  I will split the hives and try to rebuild this year and see.

Sawmill is here, but there is no time to work on the wood. I'm too busy with maple syrup - looks like this first week of April may be the last run.  Weather is really cold today -7 degrees and snow!.  It is supposed to warm up over the week. I hope to get out and do some milling some day soon. It will probably have to wait until the summer at this rate!

I have set up my sharpening business.  I purchased most equipment from Larry Davis of Davis Forestry Products.  He had the band saw sharpening business and the chain saw sharpening business and I added tool sharpening. Check out my new site:  www.seymoursharpening.com.  I am using a Tormek t7 professional wet sharpener for my tool sharpener.  It provides a fantastic, consistent edge to all tools with the assortment of jigs.  Lee Valley has an awesome selection of the jigs I need.  The system is fantastic at reproducing the angles required for each tool.

The Oregon Chain saw sharpener works better than expected. I sharpened my own and noticed how far off the regular angle I was.  It whipped through a log in no time after sharpening.

And lastly the Wood Mizer sharpener works very well.  I ran through a couple of bands yesterday and go everything all set to go.

Time will tell how this goes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment