Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Phew! Update and Maple Syrup.

March 8 - been a long time. This is the first day of March break.  Time is flying. Progression of my thinking
   ....PIGS!  No - not Portugal, Greece, Ireland, Spain - but real PIGS!  I want to get as far away from dependence as possible.  So Pigs do 4 things:

  1. plow fields so that I can plant a food forest
  2. give me meat
  3. turn over compost quickly
  4. possibly move me to a position to become a farm
Cows - ok but not as efficient - could be used to boost farm production and then make me a real far.  Purchase springers in spring, grass fed for summer - sell in the Fall.

Chickens - were attacked last fall by ?? Cameron was doen taking care and we lost several- dominant rooster and some hens. They also tried to get Rupert!  He survived.


Alaksan Chainsaw mill - from Lee Valley - yet to try but looking forward to snow going and getting at it to build sugar shack

Maple Syrup - took off a 2 day run of 180L from 53 taps in 49 minutes.  Hard work but fun. Moved my boiler to woods and just going to do dishes then off to start it up with wood for first time! Tractor is beating up my trailer.  I need to get a farm trailer and keep the red one for road.  My back got injured last week getting pallets.

Anyway - anxious to get going.  I notice the door is stuck in back room again and needs adjustment.  The frost is moving!


No comments:

Post a Comment